The Hawaiiana Numismatist blog shares my enthusiasm about Hawaiiana numismatics. For those not familiar with the term Hawaiiana numismatics, it is the study and/or collecting of coins, tokens, medals, paper money, scrip, and objects that have a relationship with Hawaii. Most items that are collected have a design or text related to Hawaii. The Hawaiian relationship may be in a form of its landscape; its cultures, its people, its industry, its events, its language, its customs, its celebrities, etc…
Hawaiiana numismatics is very diverse. As some collectors call it an esoteric area. Others call it back of the book collecting. As I can attest to it, diversity is the spice of life. How diverse? Hawaiiana numismatics has several cross-over areas that touch other collecting specialties: SCD, SC50C, Alaska, WWII, Kingdom of Hawaii coins,US commemorative half dollars, Liberty Dollars (i.e. NORFED), saloon tokens, railroad tokens, plantation tokens, amusement tokens, bakery tokens, commercial tokens, dairy tokens, military tokens, school tokens, transportation tokens, elongated tokens, encased tokens, commemorative medals, ingot, royal medals, etc..
Updated 12/15/2014 —————————–Start
Garry Moore has created a language translation listing (English/Hawaiian) of commonly used words and phrases on Hawaiian numismatics. Thank you Garry for the outstanding contribution!
Updated 12/15/2014 —————————–End
This statement is to acknowledge the reference sources for the catalog numbers that may be referenced in my blog writings.
Updated 11/09/2014 —————————–Start
Garry Moore has created a consolidated listing of Hawaii Numismatic Publications
Updated 11/09/2014 —————————–End
- Hawaiian Money Standard Catalog Second Edition, by Medcalf and Russell, 1991, ISBN 0-9623263-0-5
- So Called Dollars, 2nd Edition, by Hibler and Kappen, 2008, IBSN 0-87184-102-9
- The Hawaiiana Numismatist’s Catalog of Franklin Mint Issues Relating to Hawaii, 2014, ISBN 1496144821
- The Dwight D. Eisenhower Appreciation Medals, 2014, ISBN 1495348229
- Unusual World Coins by George S. Cuhaj, 2011, ISBN 1-4402-1702-5 (Hawaii section starts on page 297 ) (google book sample http://books.google.com/books?id=NUg1HUZt5OEC&pg=PA302&dq=unusual+world+coins+hawaii&hl=en&sa=X&ei=lFB )
- World Gold Coins by George S. Cuhaj, 2009, ISBN 1-4402-0424-1 (Hawaii section starts on page 725) (google book sample http://books.google.com/books?id=tXSrLbIEDBMC&pg=PA726&dq=coins+gold+hawaii&hl=en&sa=X&ei=T1FvUeW0GLb )
- Checklists of Hawaiian Municipal So-Called Dollars of the 20th Century http://sicordova.com/HMSCD20thCentury.html (periodically updated)
- Waifs in Gold Boots (Royal Hawaiian Mint database) http://www.royalhawaiianmint.com/database.htm (page was deactivated…if you need a copy of the spreadsheet contact me at the email address below)
- Token Catalog Website Project http://tokencatalog.com/ (continually updated – look for USA section, then Hawaii or perform a general search on your keyword, such as “Kaiulani”)
- Liberty Dollar Encyclopedia https://sites.google.com/site/libertydollarencyclopedia/hawaii-dalas (Hawaii related NORFED issues)
Online Price Guides
Online price guides available for certain coins with “X” number assignment (by Krause Publications) as defined in the books: Unusual World Coins and World Gold Coins. These websites may require a login account and/or subscription.
- Numismaster.com http://numismaster.com/ta/numis.jsp
- Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC) Wold Coin Price Guide (uses the Numismater.com database) This is an example using X# M3 designation (http://www.ngccoin.com/poplookup/world-coin-prices.aspx?category=7656
Professional Coin Grading Service (PCGS)
- “Slab” number look-up is also helpful. It provides insight in which Hawaiian coins have been graded or assigned a Hawaii “slab” code. http://www.pcgs.com/pcgsnolookup/Detail.aspx?c=919
- Page about Hawaiian Tokens http://www.pcgscoinfacts.com/Hierarchy.aspx?c=1759&redir=t
- Auction Prices http://www.pcgs.com/AuctionPrices/category.aspx?c=919
Numismatic Guaranty Corporation (NGC)
- Listing of Hawaiian Coins http://www.ngccoin.com/ngccoinexplorer/SubCategory.aspx?SubCatID=82&PopSubCat=us-hawaii
- The Gerald Forsythe Collection Hawaiian Coins (thanks to Garry Moore for the information and link) http://images.goldbergauctions.com/php/chap_auc.php?sale=69&chapter
Online Specialized Articles
- W.C. Peacock The Wiskey Man Who “Built” Waikiki (Royal Pacific or Cosmopolitan Saloon). Please scroll down to Teausay, August 13, 2013 entry. http://pre-prowhiskeymen.blogspot.com/2013/08/
Note About catalog Number Identification
The Medcalf & Russell (M&R) catalog number prefix “2” denotes its source from the second edition and was published in 1991.
As of March 15, 2014. In cases were a new discovery or discrepancy has been identified in existing reference books, a unique “The Hawaiiana Numismatist” (THN) catalog number is to be generated that uses a subset designation such as:
MR91 =Medcalf & Russell 1991 book
If you are interested in contributing in speading the knowledge about the Hawaii coins, medals, tokens, etc… contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org